Course of Study

Academic policies

Graduation will be authorized by the Irvine Unified School District Board of Education, and a diploma will be granted to all students who have met the following requirements:
1.    Earn a minimum of 215 credits
2.    Complete the specific course requirements for graduation


English 40  CREDITS 40  CREDITS
Math (successful completion of Math 1 Required) 20 CREDITS (including Math I) 30 CREDITS * (including Math I)
Life Science 10 CREDITS 10 CREDITS
Physical Science 10 CREDITS 10 CREDITS
Additional Science   10 CREDITS *
World Studies 10 CREDITS 10 CREDITS
United States History 10  CREDITS 10  CREDITS
Political Science 5  CREDITS 5  CREDITS
Economics 5  CREDITS 5  CREDITS
World Language, Visual Art, Performing Art or Career Technical Education 10 CREDITS 10 CREDITS
Physical Education 20 CREDITS 20 CREDITS
Additional Courses  70 CREDITS 60 CREDITS *

* Change in requirements for class of 2027 and beyond.

A student must complete all high school graduation requirements (required courses, and credits) by the end of the spring semester of the senior year to be eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. See this website for more information.

Early Graduation

Students may request to graduate early (at the end of the 6th or 7th semester). In order for the request to be considered, ALL high school graduation credits (215), and course requirements must be met by the conclusion of the last day of the semester of graduation. Students who wish to graduate early must meet with their counselor to create an academic plan and complete necessary paperwork.

Listed below are the minimum entrance requirements for California public post-secondary institutions. Private schools and programs within public schools may require additional, possibly more rigorous coursework. Admission to most competitive post-secondary programs is based on a combination of high school coursework, grades, and scores on a college admission test (SAT Reasoning Test or
ACT). The University of California recommends SAT Subject Tests for designated majors. Review UC campus requirements for additional information.

California community colleges

Admission Requirements
1.    High school graduation, GED, CHSPE, HiSET or
2.    18 years of age
3.    Assessment tests in English and Math may be required for applicants

Community Colleges offer three programs of study:
1.    Transfer to four-year college

  • In partnership with the University of California and the California State University, a student may complete the first two years of a bachelor's degree program at community college, and be admitted to either a UC or CSU with Junior-year standing. Specific courses are required to transfer to the UC and/or CSU system.
  • Transfer programs to colleges other than UC or CSU are also available.

2.    Associate Degrees
Equal to two full-time years of college work, an Associate degree requires sixty units of specific course work, leading to a named degree.

3.    Certificate Programs
Training for specific career placement may lead to a specialty certificate of skill or an Associate degree. See the following website for more information.

California State University admission

California residents and graduates of California high schools who earn a 2.5 or greater “a-g” GPA are eligible for admission. The G.P.A. for CSU admission considers 
“a-g” coursework taken in grades 10 and 11 only. Additional grade points in A.P. or approved Honors courses in grades 10 and 11 are included as part of the G.P.A.

An applicant who earns a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher with a grade of C or higher in each required course, is eligible for an admission review by the CSU. Refer to for more information.

Priority admission to the specific CSU campus served by a high school is offered to all students who meet the required index (certain campuses or impacted majors may be more selective). WHS is in CSU Fullerton’s service area. Refer to for more information.


University of California Admission

Admission is based on a combination of academic achievement and promise, as well as potential to contribute to the educational environment and intellectual vitality of the campus. University of California admission is guaranteed to students in the top 9% of each high school, and the top 9% statewide. To be eligible for admission, a student must complete a minimum 15 required courses by HS graduation and complete at least 11 of the 15 required courses by the end of grade 11. Students must achieve a GPA of 3.0 or higher, with no grade lower than a C, although most successful applicants to UC campuses complete a more rigorous course sequence beyond the minimum requirements, earn higher grades, and challenge themselves with honors and AP classes.  The UC determines an applicant’s GPA using grades earned in college prep courses in grades 10 and 11. An applicant must earn a GPA of 3.0 (or higher) in required course work to be eligible for admission. Additional grade points in A.P. or approved Honors course in grades 10 and 11 are included as part of the G.P.A.

The expectation is that students will take a stronger academic program beyond the minimum, and earn a higher G.P.A. and test scores. The UC requires all admission testing to be completed by the December test date of the senior year. Refer to this web site for the index: &

Uc/CSU a-g Coursework / Four-year college pathway

(Minimum Academic Program)

“a” History 20 credits/2 years
“b” English 40 credits/4 years
“c” Mathematics 30 credits/3 years
“d” Laboratory Science 20 credits/2 years
“e” Foreign Language 20 credits/2 years 
“f” Visual or Performing Art 10 credits/1 year 
“g” College Prep Electives 10 credits/1 year
**Additional Coursework to total 215 credits


Type of Diploma

Minimum Required credits

Minimum Required Courses

Required Timeline for courses and credits

Other Requirements

WHS Diploma


All course requirements

Finish all required course work and cred- its no later than September 1st following your June commencement date

See page 25 for graduation and credit requirements

Irvine Adult School



All course requirements; however, PE may be waived for an adult diploma

Flexible. Coursework is completed at San Joaquin High School

  1. Must be at least 18 years of age
  2. Student must be referred to Alternative Education by high school counselor

San Joaquin High School Diploma (In- dependent Study)


All course requirements

Flexible. A student may also attend community college in conjunction with concurrent enrollment at San Joaquin

Student must be referred to Alternative Education by the high school counselor

California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE)




See Description Below

General Educational Development Test (GED)




See Description Below

California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)

This exam is the California legal equivalent to a high school diploma. It is not equivalent to completing all coursework required for regular graduation from high school. The CHSPE consists of two test sections: English-Language Arts and Mathematics. Students are eligible to take the CHSPE if they are at least 16 years old, have been enrolled in the tenth grade for one academic year or longer, or will complete one academic year in tenth grade at the end of the semester during which they plan to take the CHSPE. You must have both a Certificate of Proficiency and have certified parent/guardian permission to withdraw from high school. Beginning July 2023, the CHSPE will be shifting to the GED® and HiSET® testing formats, which includes an online testing option only.  Paper testing will no longer be available.  (

High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) 

By taking the HiSET students can earn a state-issued high school equivalency credential allowing them to advance your career, join the military, begin a training program or continue their education.  Students must be 17 years old or within 60 days of their 18th birthday to take the exam.  (

General Educational Development Test (GED)

The GED tests measure knowledge and academic skills against those of traditional high school graduates. GED tests are administered in many places throughout the state. Adult schools offer classes to help prepare you to take the GED tests. You are eligible to take the GED within 60 days before your 18th birthday. (



Because most colleges and universities are increasing admissions requirements, and leaders of business and industry are concerned about the academic preparation of those people entering the work force, the faculty and administration at Woodbridge High School expect all students in grades 9-11 to enroll in six courses during each year of high school. Seniors who have sufficient credits may opt for a less demanding year and may enroll in 5 classes in the fall and 5 classes in the spring with the option of 1 taken off campus (ie. ROP, community college). However, students can expect this reduced commitment to be communicated in letters of recommendation. Institutions of higher learning report a direct correlation between academic success at the university and the maintenance of a rigorous course of study during the senior year in high school.


Credits are awarded on a semester basis. Successful completion of a course earns credits towards graduation. A course taken for one semester, one period each day normally earns five semester credits towards graduation. (A limited number of courses earn variable credits or less than five credits). Therefore, a student will typically earn thirty credits each semester, or sixty credits each year.


a.    Physical Education, Athletics, and Student Aide — a student who participates in at least 80% of the term will receive full credit. Less than 80% participation
or work accomplished will receive the variable credit basis listed below.

Per Semester Class
80% — 100% = 5 credits
70% — 79% = 4 credits
60% — 69% = 3 credits
50% — 59% = 2 credits
35% — 49% = 1 credit

Per Quarter Class
80%— 100% = 2.5 credits
70% — 79% = 2.0 credits
60% — 69% = 1.5 credits
50% — 59% = 1.0 credits
35% — 49% = 0.5 credits

b.    Community/Work Experience — 40 hours of work plus specified related assignments = 1 credit; maximum of 10 credits per semester, 20 credits maximum for graduation. Grade 12 only.

c.    ROP — Course credit varies. Check the ROP course catalog for credit information.

d.    Other courses which award variable credit: Support Services/Special Education courses, Private Instruction, Independent Study, and Student Assistant courses.


Students should check carefully to see that they have taken the proper prerequisites for courses and have received the necessary grades. Where a course prerequisite requires permission, the student should seek approval to take the course from their current teacher.


The WHS master schedule of classes is carefully designed every year so we can honor both the requests made by students, and the recommendations of the faculty.
Woodbridge encourages every student to strive for academic excellence. We urge students and their parent or guardian to carefully select classes for the upcoming school year. Our master schedule has little to no space available for a class change. If you believe, after attempting a class, you are misplaced academically, please carefully discuss this with your teacher, parent or guardian, and counselor. Woodbridge is committed to student success, and we will seriously consider a recommended class change that is
in your best academic interests. Options will be severely limited, based on space in the master schedule.

The last day to enroll in a new or different class is the final day of the second full week of the semester. Any class change after this date must be initiated and recommended by a faculty member. Please refer to the student planner for exact dates.

The last day to withdraw from a class without penalty of a failing grade on your transcript is the last day of the sixth full week of the semester. We encourage students to remain in class and make every effort to achieve a passing grade.

Any withdrawal must be recommended by a faculty member, and must be approved by parent or guardian, counselor and administrator. Any withdrawal that occurs after the last day of the sixth week of the semester will result in a permanent grade of “F” on your transcript.

If an academic level change (for example, from Spanish 2 to Spanish 1) is recommended by a faculty member and approved by your parent or guardian, no grade penalty will occur. However, the transfer grade will follow the student.


WHS currently implements a “no teacher change” policy. This policy is designed to work with all stakeholders (parents, students, and teachers) to facilitate problem solving and resolve conflict. Administration requires that a parent/ teacher conference is held to address specific concerns prior to requesting a change of teacher. Counselors and/or administrators can attend teacher conference meetings, if requested. If specific issues are discussed with the assigned teacher and remain unresolved, parents/students can contact administration to discuss the unresolved issues further.

Counselors are unable to adjust student schedules to a new teacher, unless approved by an administrator.


Although students can be assured that their assigned courses from fall to spring semester are to be maintained, students may be assigned different teachers and/or periods for their courses in the spring semester. On average, nearly 20% of WHS students experience a teacher or class period change, at the semester, in any given year. These changes may be due to increased or decreased enrollment after the school year begins, additional funding to add class sections to both bring class sizes down and increase access to certain course offerings that were full, and to account for staffing. Students requesting to return to their previously assigned schedule will be denied. Counselors are unable to adjust student schedules in this circumstance, unless approved by an administrator.


a.    A student may repeat Student Assistant for a maximum of 10 credits for graduation. Students receive variable credit based on attendance and participation. Refer to the Student Assistant Contract for the complete list of requirements. Students may only be enrolled in one period of student assisting at a time.
b.    Some courses in Career and Technical Education, Performing Arts, Physical Education, and special programs such as Yearbook, Leadership and Journalism may be repeated for credit with instructor’s approval.
c.    A student may wish to retake a course to improve their grade. In this case credits are not awarded again, and the new grade as well as the old grade will appear on the transcript. If the first grade is a D or F, only the better grade will be included in your GPA. If the original grade earned is a “C” or higher, the original grade will not be replaced.



Credit for private instruction will be available in the area of Physical Education and Foreign Language. This credit must be approved in advance. Options are limited and must meet rigorous district guidelines.

Physical Education Private Instruction

•    All students are required to complete a minimum twenty credits of Physical Education or its equivalent. Students who do not pass five of the six sections of the California Physical Fitness Exam must remain in Physical Education.
•    Students must submit an application in advance to be eligible for Private Instruction P.E. Applications may be obtained from the Counseling Department.
•    Students must reapply each semester.
•    Students must be nationally ranked to receive credit for Private Instruction PE. A copy of the ranking must be submitted with application.
•    Students must have at least five (5) hours per week of private instruction, and a demanding practice schedule which precludes him/her from attempting six (6) subjects at Woodbridge High School.
•    Students will be able to earn P.E. credit through Private Instruction until the minimum P.E. graduation requirements (20 credits) are fulfilled.
•    A grade of Pass is awarded on the transcript for Private Instruction PE.

Foreign Language Private Instruction

•    Students attending an approved private foreign language school will be able to earn credits in multiples of five (5) but not to exceed ten (10) credits.
•    Students must attend a pre-approved Private Instruction Foreign Language School (see IUSD web site.)
•    Students must submit an application in advance to be eligible for Private Instruction Foreign Language. Applications may be obtained from the Counseling Department. Students must reapply each semester.
•    Students must have at least five (5) hours per week of private instruction.
•    A grade of Pass only is awarded on the transcript for credit for Private Instruction in a Foreign Language.
•    Private instruction Foreign Language is not considered part of the WHS UC approved course list.


WHS students inquire about taking classes at a different high school, a community college, or on-line for a variety of reasons. Coursework options fall into one of two categories:

1)    Courses used to meet IUSD graduation requirements: These classes must be approved prior to enrollment in the course.

2)    Courses used to meet college entrance requirements or courses for personal enrichment: Students are welcome to take coursework beyond WHS or IUSD to fulfill college entrance requirements or for personal enrichment. Classes completed to meet college entrance requirements or taken for personal enrichment will not be entered on the WHS transcript since they will not be applied toward high school graduation requirements. Registration documents for our local community colleges do require an administrator’s signature.

4 year college applicants will enter applicable coursework and grades onto their college applications directly and/ or submit dual transcripts (WHS and community college,
independent study, or on-line program) during the college application process to verify both high school and community college, independent study, or online course completion.


ROP is a unique educational program designed to provide students with the opportunity to explore, discover or confirm their career interests. Choosing the right job, a college or career path can be a long and difficult endeavor. Education, experience and exposure can make this process easier. Early exposure, preparation and experimentation by taking classes specific to a career pathway are solid steps toward future success.

ROP classes are offered in each of 11 different career pathway areas: Arts and Communication, Business and Marketing, Health Sciences and Science and Technology. Classes are held at various high school and business sites throughout Orange County. Most classes are held outside of the WHS Bell schedule.

Classes with an (unpaid) internship earn 5 - 10 credits per semester, and classes without an internship or cooperative arrangement earn 5 credits per semester. ROP semesters run concurrent to the WHS calendar. Credits are shown on the transcript as elective units. Classes are open to students 16 years of age, and are juniors or seniors. Many ROP Classes are accepted for UC/CSU approval. For additional information, contact the ROP Career Specialist in the College and Career Center.


 * indicates the course is offered on the WHS campus


Art of Animation
Broadcast News
Computer Graphics*
Entertainment Art
Floral Design Internship
Music Technology
Theater Technology
Video and Film Production*
Video Game Design
Visual Imagery
Advanced Visual Imagery


Banking/Financial Services
Business Internship
Computerized Accounting*
Retail Sales/Merchandising Internship*

Health Sciences

Animal Health Care Internship
Dental Assistant/Front Office
Dental Assistant Internship
Emergency Medical Responder
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Medical Assistant Back Office Internship
Medical Assistant Front Office Internship
Medical Nursing Careers Internship
Medical Terminology
Medical Office Management & Billing
Nursing Assistant Pre-certification (CNA) Internship Pharmacy Technician
RDA Preparation Sports Medicine


Administration of Justice
Baking and Pastry Fundamentals
Careers in Education
Careers with Children Internship
Careers with Children – Cooperative
Crime Scene Investigation
Culinary Arts Internship
Fire Science 101
Fire Technology
Food Service – Cooperative
Hotel and Tourism Internship


Automotive Technology
Automotive Technology Internship
Construction Technology


Many college sports are regulated by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), an organization that has established rules on eligibility, recruiting, and financial aid. If students are applying to college and plan to participate in Division I or Division II sports, they must be certified by the NCAA Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse. The Clearinghouse will analyze academic information and determine if students meet the NCAA’s initial eligibility requirements. Students wanting to participate in Division I or Division II sports should start the certification process by the end of their 11th grade year.

Contact the NCAA:
The National Collegiate Athletic Association
700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

Phone: 317/917-6222
Fax: 317/917-6888

It is recommended that students and parents interested in NCAA eligibility for participation in college athletics, access the NCAA Eligibility Center directly at


Division I eligibility

•    All students entering college must have completed 16 core courses in high school.
•    Students must earn a minimum 2.3 GPA in core courses and a combined SAT or ACT sum score that matches this GPA on a sliding scale, which can be found in the NCAA Eligibility Center Quick Reference Guide.
•    10 core courses must be completed prior to the seventh semester of high school.
•    Within the first 6 semesters of high school, students must complete 7 classes including English, Math, or Natural/Physical Science

Division II Eligibility

•    All students entering college must have completed 16 core courses in high school.
•    Standards require a minimum GPA of 2.3 and a combined minimum SAT score of 920 or sum ACT score of 70.

NCAA Core Courses Definition

•    An academic course in one or a combination of these areas: English, mathematics, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy.
•    A four-year college preparatory course and a course at or above the high school’s regular academic level, for example, an AP® class or outside college course.

Remedial courses, or those taught at a slower pace or that cover less content are not admissible. And not all classes that meet high school graduation requirements meet NCAA course work requirements. Help your students check your high school’s list of approved core courses on the NCAA Eligibility Center High School Portal. Meeting NCAA admission requirements does not guarantee admission into college — it simply determines whether students may participate in athletics during their freshman year. Students must follow each member college’s admission policies and apply directly to that college.

To access the NCAA Approved course lists for WHS, please use school code #051274 and visit: mit=searchHighSchool


Division I: 16 Core Courses

Division II: 16 Core Courses

4 years of English

3 years of English

3 years of math (Algebra 1/Math I or higher level)

2 years of math (Algebra 1/Math I or higher level)

2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered)

2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered)

1 extra year of English, math, or science

3 extra years of English, math or science

2 years of social science

2 years of social science

4 years of additional core courses (from any category above, or in foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)

4 years of additional core courses (from any category above, or in foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)


The following represents the grading options for courses offered at Woodbridge High School.
Option 1: A, B, C, D, F
Business, English, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Health Education, Mathematics, Science, Social Science, Technical Education, Resource Program, & Special Day Program.

Option 2: Pass (‘’P”)/Fail (‘’F’’)
Student Assistant, Physical Education, Credit for Private Instruction, Work/Community Experience, Study Skills.

Exception: An “A’’ grade may be issued for exceptional performance in Physical Education and Athletics


Progress Grade Reports are issued at the end of the fifth week of each nine-week period.

Quarter Grade Reports are issued at the end of the ninth and twenty-seventh weeks of school. These grade reports carry unit credit only in the case of quarter classes; e.g., Physical Education, student assistant.

Semester Grade Reports are assigned twice a year: at the end of the nineteenth and thirty-eighth weeks of school. These grades are recorded on the official transcript/permanent record. An unofficial copy of your student’s transcript is available on the Parent Portal at


A grade of Incomplete is assigned when work has not been completed due to extensive illness or the transfer grade from another school has not been received.

The student must complete the course work to remove the grade of Incomplete during the following nine-week period. IF THE COURSE WORK IS NOT COMPLETED DURING THE NINE-WEEK PERIOD AFTER WHICH IT IS ASSIGNED, THE TEMPORARY GRADE ISSUED WITH THE INCOMPLETE WILL BE RECORDED AS THE PERMANENT GRADE. Teachers assigning an “I” must also assign a grade as if no other work is completed. This is the temporary grade.


Woodbridge High School will award an honor point bonus for approved courses. See the list provided in the course catalog to see the courses that are awarded an honor bonus point. The University of California, the California State University, and many other colleges and universities will accept honor points in computing a student’s G.P.A. for designated Honors and Advanced Placement classes with a grade of “C” or higher.


a.    Woodbridge High School: Honors at graduation are computed on the basis of the first seven (7) semesters of high school course work. Students who rank in the top 2% of the Senior Class receive an Honors stole at graduation. Students in the top 10% of the Senior Class receive an Honors braid at graduation.
b.    California Scholarship Federation: CSF is an academic honor society designed to promote excellence in scholarship, service, and citizenship. CSF Life Members receive Honors at Graduation. Life Members have achieved at least four semesters of membership, with one semester in grade 12. All 10th, 11th and 12th grade students who meet the academic requirements may apply for membership. Application must be made each semester.


The benefits of a community service experience for high school students are well-known and include not only significant contributions to the community, but personal growth rewards that cannot be achieved in other ways. Irvine Unified high schools will recognize students who voluntarily engage in at least 25 hours of community service in any given year prior to graduation. Recognition is given as an entry on the student transcript for each year of service completed. Students must complete required paperwork and turn it in to the Counseling Office to receive a transcript entry. The paperwork must be completed in full and turned in no later than the last Friday in May to receive community service recognition for that school year. Community service is not an IUSD graduation requirement. 

What is blended learning?

Blended learning is a voluntary option offered on a limited basis for high school students within IUSD. Students complete most of their course work online in addition to attendance at regular class instruction meetings on Zoom. Dates and times for the class instruction meetings are determined by San Joaquin High School.

How do I know if blended learning is right for me?

Speak to your counselor, and parents or guardians to deter- mine if blended learning is an option for you. If you are interested in taking a blended learning course, you will need a referral from your counselor. Students and parents in the blended learning program must agree to the expectations of the blended learning option, which include attendance and progress requirements. In general, successful students in a blended learning program are self-motivated and have excellent time management skills. They communicate with their instructors frequently, and attend in-person meetings as scheduled.

How do I enroll in a blended learning course through IUSD?

Meet with your counselor to discuss if blended learning is right for you. Your counselor will submit a referral for enrollment during your regular registration process. San
Joaquin High School will process the registration and notify your counselors and parents or guardian if you have been enrolled in the program.

I need more information about online programs. Who can I contact?

For more information, please contact your counselor.