Recently the Orange County Health Care Agency updated its guidelines in regards to masks being worn indoors for specific sports. Certain indoor sports (basketball, volleyball, and wrestling) are identified as sports where masks could be viewed as potential choking hazards, and with that determination, CDPH has updated their guidance to waive the requirement for indoor mask use for students during play, if students undergo weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing using an FDA authorized PCR or antigen test. Students with documentation of being fully vaccinated (2 weeks after receiving their second dose) against COVID-19 are waived from the requirement of weekly surveillance testing.
This new guidance is only applicable to student-athletes during practice and competitions. All spectators are still required to wear a mask while in the gym and student-athletes will continue to be required to wear masks in other situations such as during class, riding the bus, etc.
There are two options for your student-athlete to participate inside the gym without a mask :
- If a student-athlete is fully vaccinated (2 weeks after their second shot), they will be able to verify their status by dropping off a copy of their vaccination card to the Woodbridge Health Office in the Administration building. Vaccinated student-athletes are not required to quarantine when they have a close contact with a person who has tested positive for Covid-19.
- If a student-athlete is unvaccinated, they must undergo weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing using an FDA authorized PCR or antigen test and provide proof of a negative test. Please note that when unvaccinated student-athletes have a close contact with another person who has tested positive, they will be expected to test or quarantine and must wear their mask for 14 days indoors and outdoors, including while participating in athletic activities.
Testing options include:
- IUSD provided home PCR tests (available at your school site)
- Family health care provider
- Community Testing Centers
If the plan is to prove vaccination for your student, please bring their vaccination card to the front office by Friday November 5. If we do not receive a copy of a student’s vaccination card by Friday, that student will be added to our weekly testing list and will be expected to start testing Monday November 8th and continue weekly until the school receives verification of their fully vaccinated status (2 weeks after receiving their second dose).